Monday, July 16, 2007

Sunday Six

I got in a six miler on Sunday afternoon, which was a feat considering the day consisted of the following:
2 donuts and 2 coffees for breakfast
post-donut waterskiing
2 hotdogs with chips for lunch
sailing with requisite beer

I felt surprisingly good on the run, but mainly just felt good that I made it out after a busy day.

My observations during the run were all about the other folks I saw along the way. I encountered about 4 cyclists, 3 runners and 2 sets of people just out for a walk, and only 1 runner and 1 cyclist even made eye contact with me, never mind waving. I was pretty shocked at that. I always feel some level of kinship with others on the road, whether they're running, riding, walking, whatever. Yesterday, no one shared this idea.

It got to the point where I thought the lack of friendliness had something to do with what I was wearing. Due to the heat, I ran without a shirt and added a wristband to take care of the sweat. It just so happens that my only wristband is a pink number that was a freebie from my Gravis days. I also wore new shades for the first time, realized I didn't like them, and had them perched on top of my head. I pictured myself shirtless, with the pink wristband and shades as a fashion-accessory and got the idea that these Vermonters might be turned off by that particular look, so I ditched the wristband for the second half of the run. Well, it didn't make a difference, which was actually reassuring to me. I'd rather think that people were just plain unfriendly than think they were unfriendly specifically because they thought I was treading too lightly.

Of course, all of these folks were probably simply typical, keep-to-yourself New Englanders with absolutely no ill-will and no agendas. I, on the other hand, needed and enjoyed the shadey sub-plot (as ridiculous as it was) to keep my mind off the run. Isn't it crazy where your mind will take you when you're out there on the roads?

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Tremendous post!

It definitely sounds like you were treading a bit lightly.

I think people 'round the NE are just unfriendly, though I must say that I and my fellow exurban-Boston runners all acknowledge one another in the AMs. The Cape is super unfriendly, and maybe, what's going on is tourists not wanting to acknowledge your existence, not necessarily Vermonters. You're running in a vacation part of VT, and so the same lack of fellowship exists there as exist on CC.

I have the WORST time running on the weekends. You commented about how a scheduled life aids your running and I totally agree with you. On the weekends, I don't want to get out at 630A, I want to take a breather, and once I'm done with all of my house stuff -- yard work, playing with kids, being a dad, etc. etc. I've run out of time for runs. It's so hard and something I struggle with. I need to remedy it.

Nive post.