Friday, July 13, 2007

Beat the rain

Today's run was all about timing. Half way through the morning, I checked the radar loop on intellicast.com and saw a powerful band of storms heading my way (right). I timed out their progress and figured I could leave by noon and just beat the rain. I headed out and immediately saw the black clouds across the lake. I did an out-and-back route, and by the time I turned around, I could no longer see the far shore. Rain and clouds obscured my view. Thunder started to rumble, so I picked up my pace a bit.


As I approached the 4.75 mile mark of this 5-ish mile run, the drops started to fall, but not in the sheets that I knew were coming. I ended up strolling into the building just ahead of the real rain, passing hurrying co-workers on their way out to shut car windows.
Now at 2:20 in the afternoon, the temp outside has dropped about 10 degrees. You hear a lot of weather folks jabbering about leading edge of cold fronts slamming into the warmer air and causing exciting weather. It was pretty cool to track that on the radar and during my run.
Nothing monumental to report about the actual run. Apart from the weather, it was just a standard out and back.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Weather is cool . . . hehe . . .

I fulfilled my science requirement in college with Astronomy and Meteorology. Sadly, neither was gut since they were taught by physicists who really dug the physics behind fronts, and astral bodies . . .

Your post is a cool conjunction of technology, observation and physical execution. Well done.

VT Runner said...

Yeah, weather is basically the shared state hobby up here in VT, and with good reason. Because of the combination of mountains, lake effect and a jet stream that often dips in from Canada, weather is extremely difficult to predict and very local. We once had a foot of snow at our house when there was less than two inches in town (quarter mile away) and nothing but sun in Burlington. Crazy. Even yesterday, we eeked out a beautiful sunny day at camp while it poured all day at home. Weather-based technology on the web let's you at least see it for yourself, adding some ability to plan, even if it's just in the hours/minutes before an event.

And thanks for the comments on the post. It was fun to throw in the image. I'll have to use more of that feature.