Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Bachelor Run

Time: 37:52
Avg HR: 157
Peak HR: 177
Calories: 611
Distance: TBD miles
Start Time: 5:50 AM
Training Effect: 4.6
Temp: 58 F
Date: 7/17/07

Three fourths of the Agricolas were on Cape Cod yesterday, so I was bachelor guy last night. I missed my family but it was pretty relaxing last night, lounging on my porch, reading. I got to bed fairly early and out of the house with no distractions and no dirty diapers.

I need to run more, but I also need to stop partying. Last week was a party week, awash in cake and beer . . . not exactly optimal training diet. Anyway, I went out on one of my newer routes and it went pretty well, pretty quick. It's in the 4-5 mile range, probably middle-4s. There were tons of bikers out today, 3 pelotons of about 70 riders total went zipping by me today. No offense FA, but bikers are unfriendly. They look at me and I at them like alien creatures. Maybe our unfriendliness is just a mirror back at our ourselves -- maybe I'm an unfriendly runner. I was influenced by VTR's post about eye contact and testing a hypothesis on my trot.

The bikers are pretty superior and unfriendly -- I think it comes from the complexity and cost of their machines. They at least stare at you, but give no sign of recognition
The runners 'round here typically give a wave or some sort of nod, smile etc.
Some The friendliest and un-friendliest folks are the lady fitness walkers in their cotton tee-shirts and shorts. They can go either way: big happy smile, or utter disregard/lack of acknowledgment.

6 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

How nice to have a night alone. I cherish time alone. It is the only redeeming aspect of frequent business travel, in my view, especially as I travel alone, mostly, but time alone at home is especially sweet, and rare.

Re: the biker/runner mojo, I get a bad vibe from the seriously fit guys with the custom-built bikes and corporate team jerseys. They are just too cool for school. Otherwise, the Central Park roadie/runner crowd is fairly friendly in a ambivalence-is-a-perfectly-resaonable behavior-as-this-is-New-York-City-afterall sort of way. And as I have said here before, I have no quarrel with runners and other cyclists. I don't even mind pedicabs (which are proliferating here) and hansome cabs. In the Park, pedestrians and roller bladers are the menace, not for their attitude, but for their stupidity.

Today was my day to try the early morning ride, and my sorry hide stayed in bed until 7:00am, even after Mrs. FA split with the kids for the day.

Agricola said...

Shifting to the morning workout is a major shift, it might take some time.
It actually takes a reordering of your life as you must (well, I must) go to bed quite a bit earlier than I have become accustomed to. It's a worthy transition though and a good project. Good luck, and get out of the rack!

Steve DiMattia said...

Yeah, and I didn't stage the bike and my gear in the apartment entryway the night before, as I had planned, which would have eliminated much early morning rooting around. Traveling now so aiming to try again on Friday.

Agricola said...

Yes, being staged for the morning workout is a huge deal, it makes life so much easier. There is nothing more frustrating than looking for socks, and the HR strap . . . a little prep goes a long way.

Safe travels.

Steve DiMattia said...

Blew another early morning attempt. Shooting for one more try next week.

Agricola said...

3x = charm