Tuesday, July 17, 2007

3-ish

I hit the trail for 3 or so miles at lunch today. I linked up with a colleague/friend, which made the run much more enjoyable.

A couple of funny items from the run. First, we got lost on the trails. We weren't lost in a we'll-never-make-it-out-alive kind of way because the entire park consists of three intersecting loops (think clover) that take a total of 35 minutes to run at a slow pace. It was more of a crap-we-have-to-run-longer-to-get-out-of-here situation. There's nothing worse to me than not knowing where or how long you have left to go on a run. The uncertainty of distance combined with the certainty of running wrecks my concentration, reiterating yet again the mental aspect of the sport.

The other funny item was my conversation with the colleague at the end of the run. He noted that at the beginning of the run, he thought the pace was going to be a little too fast for him to keep up. I was surprised by this admission because I felt like he was leading the pace at the start. To me, that exchange was a solid indication of a good running partnership and a good run. Both of us, spurred on by the other, pushed harder than we might have and ended up with a great workout.

No comments: