Friday, January 16, 2009

Monkey Off My Back

All day today the temp was hovering around 8-12 Fahrenheit, but I didn't let it deter me. It was time to stop being such a wimp and get out there and run. I felt the urge strongly yesterday, but too near sundown, so postponed until today. I felt pretty good despite my layoff and the cold. I wore the yellow lenses in my Smiths. I'm not sure what the yellow lenses really do, but they do seem to heighten contrast in low light which was useful since I was running in the gloaming; and I think that they are fun. I wore my GoreTex rain coat with hood to help keep me warmer and it worked nicely. On the return leg I pulled down the hood because I was sweating pretty good; so much so that while stopped at a stop light steam billowed out from under the hood and fogged my glasses from the inside. That's kind of cool, actually.

I feel as if I got the post-holiday-dead-of-winter-monkey off of my back and that's good. Training for Vermont City starts 1/26/09, so this coming week is about running on the training schedule of Tuesday - Thursday, Saturday - Sunday with cross training Monday and rest Friday. I'm into it and feel confident this year. Last year the schedule wigged me out and I felt overwhelmed. I'm in known territory and am happy that my last marathon was less than a year ago rather than four ears ago -- like last year. Here we go!

No comments: