Sunday, January 25, 2009

Frozen 10K

I got out for a 10K this afternoon while the sun was still in the sky and there was a modicum of warmth from the sun. Warmth is a relative term these days and I keep defining it down with each cold snap. It was about 15 F when I got out today, and it didn't feel that bad!

Nothing major to report. The sidewalks and roads were a bit better today, and at least what was slush Friday is now more frozen and slightly better for running. A couple of young guys in cars mad me really nervous, and killed my rhythm as I slowed and hugged the shoulder. One kid was more concerned about hitting the pedestrian sign in the crosswalk with his father's Audi than he was of hitting the lunatic jogger whom he didn't see . . . the other kid was drifting my way as held his cell phone to his left ear with his right hand and steered with the left.

Anyway, I felt pretty good though the groin and thighs were feeling Friday's effects. I've got a way to go, but I've got 18 weeks to get there. The program starts in earnest tomorrow with a cross-training day. I'm hoping to do some yoga with Mrs. Agricola. My hope for this marathon training effort is to not get all wrapped up in the size of the effort (which I did last year) and just try and get out there as much as possible and come as close to 90 runs and 646 training miles as I can. I'm looking forward to it. Here we go!

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

You said, "My hope for this marathon training effort is to not get all wrapped up in the size of the effort (which I did last year) and just try and get out there as much as possible and come as close to 90 runs and 646 training miles as I can."

I would edit your comment to say this, "My hope for this marathon training effort is to not get all wrapped up in the size of the effort (which I did last year) and just try and get out there as much as possible."

Just do what's right for you, and you'll kick butt. Guaranteed.

Agricola said...

I'm not wigging out about the number and the mileage this year. I'm approaching them as goals and challenges as opposed to tasks and demands. Look, 18 weeks, 90 runs and 646 miles is a lot and given life, and the season etc. expecting to run all is unrealistic, but cool to try.

It's all about the experience now, the story later and the oportunity to run a bunch.

I'd love though, to plan out a way to do a 20 or 2 together. Maybe you come down for one and I go up for one. WE don't have to run together per se, but it would be good to be on the same stretch of road at the same time . . . what do you think?

VT Runner said...

I think that sounds great. How about on the Cape that weekend that Nance suggested. The timing (early April) would be about right.

Agricola said...

That early April weekend 4/3-5/09 is one of the twenty mile weekends. We could look around and map out a good run. Maybe go out a straight twenty and get the fams to pick us up. I've got something in mind . . .