Thursday, January 1, 2009

First Run, 2009

With 60 other crazies I got out for a 5K road race in my town. It was about 9 degrees Fahrenheit with stiff breeze which made it feel even colder. I was joking with some of the other runners that I just paid $20 to run a course that I run all of the time for free, and not very often at 9 F!

I had fun and finished well. I have no idea how fast I went out and in what time I finished, but based on the fact that it was an out an back with a loop in the middle between mile 1 and 2 and I got to see the lead pack a couple of times I estimate that I was in the top quarter to third of runners. A cold weather survival tip: I put body glide on my face today and it seemed to work to keep me from getting totally chapped (Vaseline works well in this type of weather as well) though it didn't keep my face from going quite numb!

Some running resolutions for 2009:


  1. At least one race/month (one down!)

  2. Break 4 hours at Vermont City

  3. Break one hour at Hale

  4. Do another tri this year (maybe the Granite Man*)

  5. Put together a team for "100 on 100" (anybody?)**

  6. Run Falmouth closer to, or better than my 2007 time

  7. Put together a couple of Cape Cod Marathon Relay teams

Happy new year!
*I looked up the Granite Man distances: .75 Mi. Swim / 15 Mi. Bike / 4.2 Mi. Run (also listed at 3.7 mi.). It also might be the same weekend as 100 on 100, hence maybe.

No comments: