Monday, August 6, 2007

When you gotta go

I woke up Saturday morning, had a small cup of coffee, and hit the road for my long run of the week, an 11 miler at a comfortable pace. I did an out and back that offered views of Lake Champlain at the turnaround point. Unfortunately, this run also offered a gastro-intestinal revolt at said turnaround, the longest point from home. With no bathroom in sight and TONS of poison ivy lining the trail, I clench-walked one painful mile before finding a solution to my predicament. No need for details here, except for the fact that I ran the remaining 4 miles with only one sock. You do the math.

Oh, the joys of running.

On a completely different front, I had a massage today to work out some shoulder/back issues I've been having (residual pain from a waterskiing-induced shoulder separation 2 years ago), and my masseuse made an interesting observation. She was working my neck area while I was on my back, and she said she could tell I was a runner because of the muscles in the front of my neck and around my collarbones. Apparently, runners' intense breathing, especially on longer runs, develops these muscles in a special way that isn't found on non-runners. I couldn't tell you what the difference is, but I thought it was really cool to have her notice a physiological trait that specifically id's me as a runner.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

Laugh out loud story! Classic. Did you get any blisters? Anywhere?

I've actually been thinking about writing about the GI tract and running but have held off. Hearts are broken as we used to say when playing Hearts. . . it's amazing how tied into running our GI tract is -- just ask my poor family; or stand around the start area of a big race . . . toxic!

That's interesting about the muscles around the collar bone etc. Cool.

Steve DiMattia said...

Hello, Gents. Don't how long it's been since my last post, but July 14 was my last ride. I'd blame work and travel and family but it's mainly been lazy times. No empty promises today, but hopefully will have something new to say soon.

VTR, best story in months...

VT Runner said...

No blisters...anywhere. I got lucky for sure, considering my predicament.