Wednesday, August 8, 2007

Trail Racing...Family-Style

Every Tuesday night during the summer months, the Catamount Outdoor Family Center (http://www.catamountoutdoor.com/) hosts a 5K trail running series, which is a riot. Competitors range from local high school cross-country teams (these guys fly!) to a husband and wife in their mid-80's to recreational runners like us. They have two courses which run on single track trails through old farming meadows and woods. Both courses are beautiful, although one is a killer with lots of hills and switchbacks.

The races are truly a family affair. The owner of the Center and his grown son manage the race and are out there every week. Spouses often alternate running and watching the kids on a weekly basis, and there are two shorter races for "cubs" (age 0 - 6) and "cadets" (age 7 - 12).

The entire VT Runner family typically runs a bunch of these races each year, but this was our first one of 2007. VT Runner the elder (4.5 yo) has "raced" for the last 3 years, but has always alternated between running, walking, being carried, picking flowers, rolling in the long grass, and/or bursting into tears at the starting line. We really never know what to expect. Last night, he surprised us all by charging the race (probably about 100 yards long) and having a ball. He had so much fun, that he ran the route no less than 5 times and was a ball of sweat by the time my run was done. He did not want to stop running, and even raced to the car. VT Runner the younger (2 yo) also "ran" the entire route a couple of times and was very proud of herself. I was proud of them both.

My race (Mrs. VT Runner had kid duty last night) was also fun. I ran a 22:26 for the 5K route, alternately shadowing and leading a couple of guys at a steady but hard pace. At about the mid-point, I needed to focus to keep pushing, so I started repeating a mantra to myself, "No fatigue in the legs, no fatigue in the lungs," but quickly changed it to "Strong legs, strong lungs" because I didn't like saying the word fatigue. Can you tell how strongly I believe in the power of positive thinking/imagery in running?

I really needed the help for the last 1K because I ran my 3rd kilometer as if it was my last. I still don't know how I turned a "3" into a "4" on the 3K mile marker sign, but the mistake was painful. In the end, I guess it turned out OK because I posted my fastest time ever for this 5K. I think I was inspired by the kids' performances. How cool is it to be at the stage where we can truly share our passions and activities with the whole family? I have a feeling it's only going to get better from here.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Great post. It's awesome that you're kids had so much fun. Maybe that's what I need to do -- get my kids running rather riding in the jogging stroller. Although they're actually pretty good on runs (not so good on bike rides) it's hard to convince Child One to come along on a run. Hence, Dada runs alone most of the time.

Nice time on the 5K!