Monday, August 27, 2007

There but for the grace of dog, go I

I got out tonight at 7:35pm and the curtain fell pretty quickly; it was dark by 7:55. So there I was, pedaling through the Park in the dark, just passing the Guggenheim when a profoundly oblivious woman stalked across the road with a giant shaggy dog, about 25 yeards ahead, directly into the vector off three guys who had just passed me. The middle guy hit the brakes so hard he went bike over ass over helmet, landed on his right shoulder and hadn't come to a complete stop before the woman started blaming him for reckless cycling, climate change et al. Nearly a dozen passing cyclists came to his aid, which was pretty cool, this being NYC, after all, as well as an older runner who appeared to be an orthopedist, which did not surprise me one bit, this being NYC, after all. Everyone agreed the orthopedist had rank so we sped away.

Adventures, fellas. Central Park is full of them. I am getting out Labor Day morning with a friend on a 30 mile loop trail up in Westchester County, and looking forward to that.

So I took a slow second lap and called it a night. Strangly, the heart rate monitor wouldn't give up my average amd maximum heart rate but provided a level of alternative detail I've never seen before. And so the numbers are:

Time: 0.54.39
Mx Speed: 23.3 mph
Av Speed: 14.7 mph
Distance: 13.34 miles
Burn: 746 calories

Hard: 19.30
Moderate: 27.44
Light: 8.02

(I presume these last three stats are judgment calls on my heart rate....)

Ride to blog...

2 comments:

Agricola said...

The never-ending conflict between the pieton and peloton . . .

VT Runner said...

Great post. Great comment.

Truly inspired.