Wednesday, August 22, 2007

Getting back

I ran the Tuesday night trail race last night after about 10 days off due to a slight head cold and the need for a break. I came in with a decent time (22:21 for the 5K), but I wasn't exactly feeling it. My lung capacity was definitely down and although my legs felt strong, my head wasn't into the race. I would chant my little mantras, but I didn't quite buy into them. Today, I had time at lunch to get in a nice run, but passed. I guess I'm slowly working my way back into running, but motivation is definitely an issue. I'm glad to see that others on this blog are in the same boat.

On a more positive front, last night was an absolutely beautiful run. The course takes us through old fields, rolling hills, and woods with an unobstructed view of Camel's Hump at the start/finish. It was one of those nights that I was awe-struck by the scenery. VTRunner child#1 must have been similarly inspired. He finished second in the "cub" race,a nd was very proud of himself... although I think he credited his breakthrough performance on his new purple cape, not the scenery.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

It was definitely the cape that helped. That's great.

FA mentioned a general malaise. I'm feeling it. you're feeling it. I think it's the end of summer blues -- summers are brutal with travel and being away from home and basically out of your routine. Running is all about routine and summer is anything but.

Steve DiMattia said...

Where can I get a cape like his?