Monday, March 15, 2010

Trying a New Routine

Running after work has been a giant non-starter lately and the exercise just isn't happening. So this morning I dragged myself out of bed at 5:30a and got out in the Park for 30 minutes. It was dark and damp, and I only passed 5 other runners on my short loop. It was a tough start to the day but I feel good now and plan to try this again on Wednesday (Kids will be with my folks, so Mrs. FA and I will run together - easier to get out of bed when you have a partner, I think) and Friday (I'll wake up in Tampa on Friday, with no reason to lay around in bed, anyway).

So, I am trying to shake things up and see if I can find a new routine. I want to be the guy who gets up early and kicks *ss. I used to be that guy. When I taught school I was in my classroom by 5:45a every morning. I was also 24 - 28 years old. Things are getting harder.

Peace, fellas.

4 comments:

Agricola said...

It's not an age thing - it's a commitment and responsibility thing. Technically, as we age we need less sleep. but when I get to Friday AM and then Saturday AM -- I am dragging.
I work like 14hours/day, it's relentless right now and I'm tired

I'm with you though, the afternoon ain't happening for me so it's the morning run. I'm on it tomorrow AM and then Wednesday -- if I can get on time Wednesday, I'm going for 10.
Like i said, i need to crank it up.

Steve DiMattia said...

We have really cool neighbor in our building, with whom we're friendly. She runs Tris and long foot races often and is running the NYC 1/2, too, this weekend. She's a morning runner, but w/o kids, she's able to get out at 6:30 for a long run and still make it to work. We usually run into her returning to the building as we're leaving to take the kids to school, around 7:25. I get a little envious at those times. Mrs. FA and I are aiming for a 5:30 wake-up tomorrow for our run. (The earlier hour makes a big difference.) Will post.

Agricola said...

Good luck!
I'm finding myself battling the time change right now, 545 came and went for me today. I went for 5+ today...

VT Runner said...

I'm enjoying the extra light at the end of the day, but have yet to take advantage. Not sure about the morning, even though it makes the most sense. My goal is to get one weekday run in this week. I was feeling sore today, so bagged -- my bigger goal is to avoid injury this year.

Looking forward to reading how your mornings go.