Sunday, March 14, 2010

Flashback Five, Solid Seven, Tentative Ten

I had a good finish to the week, and am pretty much keeping to running the long runs on the marathon training schedule. I pulled a very last minute trip to Framingham for a focus group on Thursday night, and got a run in AG's neck of the woods Friday morning after staying the night at the Sheraton. AG, sorry we couldn't connect -- I tried a late night text and then ran out of time in the AM. Saturday I got in a strong 7.8 miler. Today, I had a 14 miler on the schedule, but scaled it back to 10.5. After running a few days in a row for the first time in a while, I thought I'd take it easy today. My legs agreed -- I felt random fluttering in the calves and hammies at various points during the run. These little reminders kept me in check. It was a slow, slow run, but I ended up much closer to the marathon goal than I would've been had I pushed and injured myself. I'll take the 10-er.

Also, today's run was in the rain. I almost bailed when I got out there and saw the downpour, but I'm glad I stuck it out. It really had no impact on the run...other than providing material to get me through the marathon. In past races, I've pulled these early season runs during tough stretches to remind myself of the work that I put in. It helps during those really bleak points that are part of every marathon I've run.

Later boys.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

good for you -- the rain was unstoppable here and it sort of ruined my weekend. Need to crank it up.
Sorry we missed each other too -- email or phone is the best way to reach me.

happy Birthday.

VT Runner said...

Ah, I figured you might be a text guy. Next time. Thanks for the b-day wishes.