Thursday, March 4, 2010

Dawn Patrol

I got out for a pair this week at about 6:10 AM. It's a major shift in my life and my body and mind are not appreciative. It's the only time I can get out there and do it and not get sucked in to the minutia of my life. I went nearly 6 miles both days, but today was lousy, i cut it off and bailed so that the run was closer to 5 -- I was not feeling it. Anyway, i was out there, and I'll go again Saturday and Sunday for 5, 10-11 respectively. I'm hoping that my crummy start to training this year ends strong whereas last year I started great and ended badly. I'll take a slower time in New Bedford for better finish in Burlington. I signed up for the Eastern States 20 from Maine to Mass on 3/28 so that should be "fun." It will be easier to do a long run if I pay for it than try and get out and do it by myself -- which always blows me up -- I need the adrenaline of a race to keep me going and I just don't generate that much on a solo Sunday jaunt through MetroWest. Surprisingly.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Good for you for getting out early, but you're sounding like you're beating yourself up. You've run more than anyone on this blog, and you're throwing in cross-training, which will only help you. Chill and enjoy yourself. Run when you want to run, and let it slide when you don't. You're a hard worker, and when it's time to hit the line in May, you'll have done exactly what you needed to do. Remember, what you need to do is run when it's best for you -- given all the other things that are important in your life.

Some perspective -- I signed up for Burlington only because I know I need to run. I don't stick to it if I don't have a tough goal out ahead of me. The marathon is just a way to get me out the door, so if I'm out it's a win. If not, no biggy.

My two cents...

Agricola said...

Thanks dude. I'm not really beating myself up -- I'm just really frustrated with my running these days. I need to run, but it's been tough -- this is our busiest time of year and we're not even tax people!

Psyched to run this weekend and that's huge. I'll post about the runs later on.