Sunday, March 28, 2010

15k

The 15k was today, the run I registered for when I didn't make the NYC 1/2 lottery. I intended to train for it alongside Mrs. FA, while she trained for the half. I didn't come close to that, but still had a good run.

Even with a minute, 20 seconds lost to an urgent potty break at mile one, I surprised myself with a consistant 9.30 pace for the first three miles, and was surprised again to hit mile six under one hour, at 59.23. My off-again, on-again right knee pain started around mile 4 but was managable until just past mile 6, when it started to make the hills VERY tough, and I walked up a few.

Around mile 7.5 an older guy I had been chatting with around 6.5 pulled up next to me. He caught me walking and said, very warmly, "Come on buddy, pick it up."

I responded, "It's not the lungs, it's the legs."

He said, "Use your arms! Your arms will carry up up that mountain!"

And, son of a b*tch, pumping my arms I took the rest of the hill and the next two, the knee less of a factor, and I practically flew (for me) the last two miles to the finish. It was a big, strong finish for me, probably my strongest to date. I was aiming for sub-90. My watch said 1.34.10 at the finish. But with the potty break and etc., I am pretty happy with the time and very pleased with my 3 and 6 mile splits. Mrs. FA and the little FAs came out to cheer at miles 2.5 and 6, which was a great boost, too.

It was a good event, typically well organized and not too many runners, so the start wasn't overly crowded. Temps were lower than I expected. I went out in shorts, a polypro long sleeve, the race T-shirt, polypro gloves and a baseball cap, and was so cold at the start that I thought it was going to be a big problem. After the first mile I was dressed perfectly.

Peace, fellas.

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

"...took the rest of the hill and the next two"

And many more in the future using that method. Nothing like fellow runners passing on gems in the heat of the moment. Now, you get to pass it on.

Oh wait, you just did. Nice.

Steve DiMattia said...

Yeah, he seemed like a cool guy. We had talked for about a quarter mile before he caught me walking and helped me out. I looked for him at the finish to cheer for him, but was disappointed not to see him.

Steve DiMattia said...

Official Race Time, 1:34:15, 10:08 average pace.

Agricola said...

Way to go! I thought of you as I ran yesterday, wondering how it was going. Glad to hear that it went well, and way to power through -- gotta move those arms....

Keep building off of those splits, use them as inspiration for the future and bank them as what you know you can do.

Nice work.