Thursday, September 13, 2007

Chilly Morning

Time: 37.51
Avg HR: 159
Peak HR: 175
Calories: 653
Distance: 4.7
Start Time: 6:33 AM
Training Effect: 4.4
Temp: Chilly
Date: 9/13/07

Today was a beautiful day for a trot. Crystal clear skies, low humidity and a nice crispness in the air made for perfect conditions. I felt good today but I felt sort of disconnected from my legs. I was aware of them but they didn't really feel attached to me. It was very odd. I was somewhat outside the entire experience for some reason and felt as if I were plodding. However, based on distance and time I was setting a pretty good pace. It was an interesting, semi-out-of-body experience.

Thanks to VTR and FA for reaching out to me over the past week -- you guys helped me out more than you know by your calls and emails.

Happy Rosh Hashannah, and a happy & healthy 5768 to any Jewish visitors.

5 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

Love the early Fall chill! It's my favorite temperature. The eldest lilttle freeartist and I grabbed an unusual opportunity to grab breakfast together at a diner near her school early this a.m. I am practicing how to ask questions differently to elicit more a more active conversation from a six-year old, and we had a fine time. No distance training involved, but I thought you'd dig the sentiment. Peace, bother man.

VT Runner said...

I love the morning breakfast with child. Fun stuff. Can you post some of the question-asking methods? Is there book you checked out and can share?

Agricola said...

Ha! It's so funny. Even at a young age kids say nothing when you ask them about their day.

"What happened at school today?"
"Nothing."

"Did you sing songs?"
"Yes."

"What songs?"
"I don't remember."

Maestros of obfuscation, even under age 12 . . . I find that I need to ask really specific, almost leading questions based on assumptions about their day, and what I know most likely happened. If that fails, I water board them and they sing like canaries.

Steve DiMattia said...

The eldest little Artist says "I don't remember" more than Alberto Gonzalez in a Senate hearing. Agricola, your advice is the same as I've been given, by Ms. FreeArtist, by the way, who has worked with lots of kids, many with challenging behaviors, and is a maestro herself (except, interestingly, when it comes to the littlest Artist. And that, as they say, is a different story.)

So now I lead with stuff like, Who did you sit with at lunch? What did Mrs. L (teacher) say about Church today? What was the short story about? & Etc.

Maestros of obfuscation. LOL.

VT Runner said...

"I don't remember." It's the go-to phrase for our big little VTRunner, too. Glad to hear we're all fighting the same battles.