Monday, September 17, 2007

Thanks VT

I got out for a 10.5 miler this Sunday morning. It was an absolutely beautiful day, perfect for running, hiking, any type of outdoor activity. Glorious. That's the word that kept coming to mind as I chugged along the mostly dirt roads of my new favorite loop. I felt lucky and thankful to be living (and running) up here in VT.

The run took a bit longer than I would have liked, thanks in part to a gastric emergency (I'll spare you the details), but I enjoyed the time element. Sometimes 30 minute runs can become a grind, something I have to get in and check off the list. Sure, they make me feel better, but they have a way of feeling like any other daily task or chore. The long run is different. When you're out on the road for 1.5 to 2 hours you have a chance to really observe your surroundings, your performance, and the various stages your body goes through during the run. My progression on Sunday went something like this:

- Miles 1 - 3: All downhill and feeling strong. Gorgeous views.
- Miles 3 - 6: Mostly uphill, tightening up. The views of the mountains and the smell of the crisp, fresh air inspire and push me ahead...slowly.
- Miles 6 - 7: Whoa. Stomach issues out of nowhere. Good thing I'm on a rural route.
- Miles 7 - 10: Feeling strong after the forced rest. Back on my local road. Thinking I might be able to hit my goal for the marathon after all. Ready to get back into the training.

It was a cool trip and an interesting progression to observe. I'd encourage you guys to break from the routine and go out for a long run sometime soon. Focus on the time (say a 1.5 hour run), not the distance and just let it happen. It's a great experience that will refresh your perspective on running. It did for me. And I'll bet you'll surprise yourself with your performance.

Later boys.

4 comments:

Agricola said...

This weekend, we're going, I may not go the whole distance, but I think I'm god for 10 or so -- though you may pull away from me and leave me in the dust . . . haha.

Who else on this blog is up for it?

Let me know and we'll start to nail down details, though I think that Saturday is the day.

VT Runner said...

So, you think you're god for 10 or so? Too funny. I love type-o's. Um, it was a type-o, right?

Agricola said...

yeah . . . good for 10 or so . . . I'm really on a god for 5K . . . after that, I'm merely mortal.

Agricola said...

oh my goodness . . . another type-o . . . I'm really only good for 5K . . .
I need a typing class . . .