Monday, June 11, 2007

Gravity is Just

I love starting the week after a ride. I turned three Central Park laps last night, a bit touch and go as the NYPD and Parks Department were cleaning up after the Puerto Rican Day Parade, and the Park was an obstacle course for all the garbage trucks and patrol cars.

Distance: 18.88 miles
Time: 1.13.06
Mx Speed: 25.2 mph
Av Speed: 15.5 mph
Mx HR: 180 bpm
Av HR: 152 bpm
calories burned: 1,112

So there I was, plodding down the hill behind Lasker Rink/pool, moving slow, I don't like to go very fast down hill, when two big dudes, bigger than me and not in great shape, blew past me and one shot me a smug look. Right, I thought, I am going to smoke these tubs on the Great Hill. And I did, totally blowing past them without undue effort. Feeling great, I changed gears, dropped my chain, and had to hop off just past the point where they could see why I had to stop and huff and puff by the side of the road as they passed me up again. Just when I was thinking that gravity is just.

Heading to Scout camp, fellas, this Thursday night for a bit more than a week. I may squeeze a ride in Tuesday but otherwsie I won't be on my bike again until the week of June 25. Don't interpret my absence from the blog as entropy or sloth. I'll be traversing the North Woods by pack and paddle, and expect a workout.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Good story.

I always wave to other runners, and never give smug looks -- those guys demonstrated bad form in my opinion.
Gravity is just though . . .

Have fun in the north woods, it will be great.