Wednesday, August 13, 2008

Run 19 and Rest

Run 19 was last Friday afternoon, and it was what now is a fairly typical 3 miler for me, from the aprtment, around the central park resevoir and back again, taking around 35 minutes. I dislike Friday afternoon runs. With an after-work run on Friday I can squeeze in my miles all during the work week and skip the weekends, which is convenient when the FreeArtists are upstate and the agenda is focused on other things. But by Fri afternoon I'm pooped out, and would rather lie on the couch and watch the news than run. The impulse to lie on the couch is what I'm fighting, of course, and so I run on Fridays.

I came down with a nasty head cold over the weekend and had to fly on Mon, Tues, and so haven't run since then. I feel good for the rest.

Mrs. FA and I are running the Susan G. Komen for the Cure 5K in September. As I'm running the distance now in ~35 minutes, I'm aiming to run it sub-30.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

I was thinking about this on my run too. If you've been doing 35 minute 3 miles and you want to run a sub 30 5K I'd recommend going out and doing a run in which you do at least one mile at race pace -- just to get a feel for that pace.

I'm not saying it can't be done -- but shaving 5:01 in 5K is a bunch of time to take off -- but you've got time to train, and adrenaline is a factor when runnin races with lots of people around so that will help too. Also, adrenaline boosts stick around for 5Ks -- it's an amazing compound.

When you line up in the park there will be sections of the start chute with mins/mi paces, 8, 9, 10. Line up near the front of the 10s and let it rip.

VT Runner said...

Yup, I agree that it's important to feel the speed at least once before the race.

And don't underestimate the power of adrenaline. You'll rip it up. I think you'll surprise yourself in a good way.

Steve DiMattia said...

I had not given much thought to whether shaving off 5 would be a significant achievement, 30 just seemed like a nice round number. Of course I trust your recommendation on this, and will try one mile at race pace and see how it goes.