Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Evening Session

SO, I went out and did my evening session.  I feel pretty good from a workout perspective but got pretty banged up on the ride . . .

I swam 450 yards -- over-distancing again -- and then got on my bike.  I went with a group that was going quicker because they were covering more of the race course.  I was not terribly comfortable on the bike and should have gone with the slow-pokes.  The leader of my group circled back and was giving me some advice, some of which was to bail on the last mile or so of the ride (chagrin, kind of).  I went down hard in one spot, landed square on a boulder got a beautiful abrasion and charlie horse on my left upper thigh, tweaked my ankle and because of the wierd wrenching motion of the fall got a horrible cramp in my calf.

The ankle is sort of swollen -- an hour of icing between 3 AM and 4 AM helped -- in an area near the where the leg joins the ankle, so it's just on one connector, but it doesn't really hurt, just sort of feels aggravated; the thigh and calf are sore.  I'm not terribly hobbled, though a bit humbled, however I must say that I did OK for not having ridden off-road for nearly a decade.  Mrs. Agricola and I are both wondering about the wisdom of adopting toe clips at this time and I'm wondering if maybe I should I have started my tri-life with a road-tri rather than an off-road-tri.  A bit of practice this weekend should help me get more comfortable on the bike though I predict getting smoked on the bike, and none of my bumps and bruises are so bad as to keep me off the road tomorrow, I don't think, though I'll play it be ear.

7 comments:

VT Runner said...

Remember that you're ahead of 99% of the population by even considering a triathlon. To finish (no matter where) is a huge accomplishment, especially with such a short training run-up to the race.

I almost didn't finish the swim on my tri, but I was very proud when I finished the race just for having done it. I have a hunch you'll feel the same way.

Bennu Runner said...

I've used clips on my road bike since riding the PMC several years ago. I still get panicky on hard stops due to traffic, pedestrians, etc. I personally wouldn't use the clips off road as you are much more likely to need to hop off or stablize yourself quickly. Its more important that you finish safely. Mrs. Bennu Runner has fallen off numerous times with clips. (The first time totalled her 10 minute old new road bike!)

Steve DiMattia said...

Toe clips. They're legend. Word to Bennu re: traffic, pedestrians, etc.

Agricola said...

Luckily, I've still got the old pedals, and there's still time to switch. I'm amazed by the power increase with clips, but am nervous about the hard stops -- though I was able to anticipate some placed I"d be stopping and they increase my power in certain instances, they also may slow me down because of the anticipation release . . . maybe not my wises choice. I'll give it some more thought/practice this week/end and see where I net out before the race!

VT Runner said...

I say keep 'em. Way more power and control over the bike. Sure, you might fall over, but better that than having a foot slip off the pedal and slamming the cross-bar. I'd take a skinned knee over crushed berries any day.

VT Runner said...

One clarification. By "toe clips", I assume you're talking about clipless pedals. Am I right or are you actually talking about pedals with the cages that you slip into? If clipless (the kind that you snap into), keep them on and keep moving forward.

As FA would surely note, it's all about the gear.

Agricola said...

Yes, like ski bindings, clipped into the pedal . . . not the rat traps . . . I'll practice this weekend and see how it goes -- it's all about getting comfortable on the bike, and remembering how rocky NE is . . . what's up with all of those rocks in the trail?

Why can't I ride on those trails I see in the Patagonia & REI catalogues -- smooth hard packed dirt single track through alpine meadows? Nah, NE forest is all sharp rocks and tree roots waiting to trip, spear, impale, topple and generally wreak havoc on me. Way more fun!