Monday, August 11, 2008

Embarrassing Disappointment

I "ran" Falmouth yesteday.  I broke an hour, but it was ugly.  If you want to see my time check out the race website.  I'll not recount anything here because it was a total disaster of a run and personally embarrassing.  I basically broke down at 5K and struggled the rest of the way.  I didn't train properly and if you want to do well you've got to train.  I didn't hydrate or eat right.  I completely misjudged the heat.  It was a total disaster.  I only ran about two minutes slower this year than last year and it's amazing how awful those two minutes feel.  My pace was a mess, my heart rate was sky high and my breathing was all over the place.

I heard some fat woman on the last hill say, "he's dying" as I ran by . . . I heard the same thing two years ago, same place, same person no doubt, and it steamed me then and it's steaming me now.  If you get on the last big hill as a spectator, only to call out others' pain don't camp out there, you useless piece of crap.  Put down your ciggy, put down your mimosa, and try it.

Oh well, there's always next year, and tomorrow, to get better.  Tomorrow I'm going to go to a tri-training thing at our pond.  Ever onward.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

MY tr-training on Tuesday was thundered out and my bike is not trail rady -- I'm going to fix that this weekend.

I'm really having motivation issues. Ugh. MY big job finished up yesterday and I almost feel like I need recovery time -- it's very strange.

VT Runner said...

Ever onward is right.

You should be proud that you did the race despite the tough schedule/high stress at work. Yes, you weren't uber-prepped, but you powered through and made it. That's worth a lot.

This is the time when you have to remember that you run so that you can feel good, not because you feel good. You will not WANT to run, but you'll end up feeling good in spite of yourself. Get out on the road. You can do it.

Ever onward.

Agricola said...

Yeah, I'm heading out tomorrow AM, come hell or high water. I'm taking next week off and hope to run and swim and be a useful dad, a lot.

You're right about to feel good, not because I do feel good. Thanks, good point.