Sunday, August 31, 2008

Hammy!!!

So works been cutting into my running time for the past week. I needed to run 3 today to keep up my 10 miles for the week. I went to the local H.S. track to calibrate the HRM for distance, get the miles in and get in some speed (relative) work. All was going to plan until my 4th 100m stride. I was starting to feel real good on the speed as I loosened up. Unfortunately, with 20m to go, I popped my hamstring...badly. I was able to walk, with a significant limp, back to my car and get home within 15 minutes. Iced it for 30 minutes. It still hurts. I'm supposed to play in a 9 hole golf tournament in 3 hours with Bee. Its not looking good. Tomorrow morning should be interesting. Injuries suck.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

I'll second that. Injuries are the worst. Hopefully the hammy turns out to be less severe than it seems now. I'd recommend PT early. No sense wasting time on the rest-reinjure-rest-reinjure circuit.

Good luck. Hope it's just a tweak.

Agricola said...

Yeah, that's a bummer. The old hammies aren't what they used to be . . . ice is good, lots of ice. I don't know what to do for hamstring injuries -- they tend to linger when guys get them in the NFL.

I admire your desire to do the speed-work but it might be a good idea to just keep running and get the legs back into shape that way before stressing them with sprints. I'm very much of the school of little tiny bites though I think I could use some speed-work -- my muscles are all slow twitch at this point -- they are god for running but not for kicking.

Hope things are feeling better today, keep us posted.