Thursday, July 10, 2008

Run 7

Well, last night wasn't so good. I tried to squeeze in a run between the end of the day and an 8:00pm work-related dinner, which added deadline-stress to the run, which I resented. I got lost in Central Park (yes, lost) and emerged on the East Side at a late hour, exacerbating the deadline issue, which forced me to all but skip the post-run stretch.

Still, I spent 35 minutes with my heart rate in the zone, and had a great sweat. (The sweat lasted, in fact, through my appetizer, which must have been a sight.)

Perhaps the most imprtant lesson learned: if I am planning a run at 6:30pm, I should skip the spinach, roasted tomato and garlic pizza at 3:30. Ooff.

Which begs the inevitable diet question. I don't now and won't run during the work day, so it's either early morning or after work for me, and so far I've been an after-work runner. I'm usually pretty hungry when I get home. Any recommendations? Should I run on empty? Grab a snack at home before I get out? Snack late afternoon at work? What snacks are recommended? Pork rinds and hot sauce, I gather, are a bad idea.

5 comments:

VT Runner said...

Loved the post. You had me laughing out loud multiple times.

For a snack, I'd recommend a cliff bar around 5:00-5:30 if you're planning on a 6-ish run. I like the Chocolate Peppermint, the Cherry Almond and the Peanut Butter Chocolate flavors. If you have a big lunch, you won't need a snack. The more important thing is to complement your coffee with some water here and there. Hydration is key. Food/fuel less so at the shorter distances.

VT Runner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
VT Runner said...

I can also relate to the post-run sweating. I once ran right before one of my yearly reviews at work. Not ideal.

Steve DiMattia said...

Funny about the review sweat. I've thrown back my share of clif bars, and agree about the peanut butter flavors. I recently discovered a new variant, the Kind bar. I picked it up b/c it is gluten free, and I've been mindlful of gluten as a friend was recently diagnosed with a gluten allergy, and it means she can eat almost nothing. They're VERY tasty.

Agricola said...

Hilarious, the Voyageur lost in the woods of CP! Good post, and good run it sounds like.

As far as snack, yeah, Cliff Bars, shot blocks, though bars are better for hunger pains and blocks are better on a run.

I will also, sometimes before a run grab a PBJ, or sometimes PBJ and pretzels -- salt -- sometimes nuts.

I don't find pizza hurts me too bad, actually -- not like Indian food, but yeah, pork rinds and hot sauce probably not great.