Monday, July 7, 2008

Run 4 on the 4th, and more

First off, thank you for all of the comments on my last post. The FreeArtists spent the long weekend with Ms. FA's folks, who have a convenient three-mile out-and-back between their garage and the entrance to their subdivision. It's a pretty route, heavily wooded with a few big, widely spaced houses. The variety of bird life is remarkable, with loads of red-bellied woodpeckers. Anyway, Ms. FA and I did our walk/run combo 2x over the weekend, on Friday and on Saturday. The comments with which I tinkered the most....running with less bend in my arms seems to help me remember to drop my shoulders and therefore reduce the tension in my upper torso. I also spent more time looking up at the world and the sky, rather than down at the road, which (I think) opened my airway a bit more. The heavy humidity made it difficult to gauge any incremental improvements in my breathing, though. More later, and thanks again.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Yes, humidity is fun . . . it feels like you're running under water and there's not real way to get a good breath.

You got out, you're building up the routine, and even though it may not have felt like it, you improved and your body got stronger.

Way to go.

VT Runner said...

Nike's old tagline, "Just do it" was so right on. Just getting out and doing a run (or anything for that matter) is a victory. Any improvement, etc. is a bonus.

Nice job keeping it rolling.