Thursday, July 31, 2008

Run 15 - A Great One

With the little FAs neatly ensconsed with my folks, Mrs. FA and I hit the road together and covered a bit over 3 miles in about 30 minutes. It was a great run, one of my best. Steady breathing, feeling good the whole way.

I had complained of tightness in the right calf last week. I need to recharacterize this, it is greater fatique, earlier, in the right leg versus the left. It's been a persistent, but not distressing or debilitating issue. Mrs. FA ran behind me for a while and observed that my right leg swings differently from the left. I tried taking longer strides and focusing on planting my feet equal distances ahead on each, and it seemed to have an effect, but it was too late in the run to really tell. We'll see on the next one.

One highlight, as Mrs. FA and I were runing abreast, occasionally I sped up so that we could get around the walkers ahead of us, single file. Putting on these little bursts of speed was surprising. They required very little effort and felt great. So now thinking varying the pace during a run, rather than trying to keep it steady eddy for the whole route.

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Great post. Love seeing running through your eyes as you get deeper into the sport.

I was looking around for different resources, and I found this:
http://www.runnersworld.com/channel/0,7119,s6-380-0-0-0,00.html

Lots of good info geared towards beginners.

Steve DiMattia said...

Thanks for the link. Funny coincidence, I brought home a copy of Runner's World just last night.