Thursday, October 25, 2007

Fashion Disaster

Time: 33:23
Avg HR: 161
Peak HR: 180
Calories: 556
Distance: 4.02
Start Time: 6:50 AM
Training Effect: 4.1
Temp: Chilly
Date: 10/25/07

It was cold and damp and kind of dreary today -- a 180 degree change from Tuesday. I actually wore tights today to avoid freezing my legs and having my back seize up. It worked. I also wore maroon shorts over my black tights with a pale blue short sleeve shirt over a long sleeve orange shirt -- a total fashion disaster and luckily it was dark for much of my run. Not much to report, it was pretty uneventful and a decent run though I did have a perspective altering glimpse into other peoples' lives.

About a year ago two kids were killed in a wreck not far from our house. They wrapped their ride around a tree that cut the car in half. A couple of days later men in hazmat suits were walking across the property where the accident occurred in a line and I can only guess what they were looking for. A couple of weeks ago Mrs. Agricola says:

You know what gets me?
What?
That hockey stick leaning against the house where that boy lived who died in the accident.
I hadn't noticed, did he live near here?
Yeah, a little house on X Ave, and the stick has been there since he died.

Today I ran by the house -- I've been running by for months and never realized it. The lights were on and in the dining room was a birthday banner with the boys name and age and tons of pictures posted to the wall . . . just stuck to the wall with tape, snapshots, etc. it totally blew me away. I also saw his father in the kitchen and I nearly stopped, the whole scene was so overwhelming . . . I run by the spot where the kids were killed pretty regularly but the shrine is alway at my back so I don't notice it but I couldn't miss this.

1 comment:

PhatRunner said...

A somber post, but a good reminder of all that we have to be thankful for in our lives. I have a life that functions well and a family that loves me. When you put some perspective in your life, the trivial things just fall away.