Monday, October 29, 2007

CCM Relay

So the relay has been run. PR and I (mainly PR) cobbled together a team and it was a hoot. We certainly broke no land speed records but had fun despite PR's blown tire. I did the fourth (of five) leg. It covered 6 very hilly miles. I have total respect for the marathoners who tackled that giant climb at mile 20 alongside the Woods Hole Golf Course. That stretch was one of the most challenging stretches I've ever run -- lots of rollers, a couple big climbs and then the aforementioned monster at 20. That hill was savage and gave me a run for my money five miles into my leg so I can only imagine how it felt to hit it at 20 miles!

I have to say that this is one my proudest runs -- I covered the 6 hilly miles in under 48 minutes (48 minutes was my goal) and I squeaked in at 47:43. I don't know what it was but I was rolling and never really felt in trouble. I could feel myself powering over the hills and every roller got a little easier than the last. I worked on the up and relaxed on the down. I loved this run -- it was beautiful scenery and a gorgeous day. When I was done I was totally amped up and feeling the runner's high. It was awesome.

I saw VTR during his run and after his marathon finish -- I'll let him describe it -- but he looked good on the course and afterwards. Congratulations VTR, nicely done.

5 comments:

VT Runner said...

Agricola,

Congrat's on the run, and such a positive post. I've always maintained that you're waayyy stronger than you give yourself credit for, and it sounds like this run was proof. Those miles do accumulate and support you for things like this relay. Awesome job.

Also, thanks for the support during the marathon. I felt the LDT connection and it gave me strength. My post will come later on, but until then I'll just say that it was great to see some of this virtual community come together for real. We should do that more often. What's the next event?

Agricola said...

thanks man -- yesterday was seriously one of the most positive runs ever for me, I don't know what it was -- it just flowed.

I dropped my HR belt about a quarter mile into it and had to run back several yards to pick it up -- the thing wasn't registering and I was futzing with it and it fell off . . . so I stuffed the band in my pocket, and held the belt with the baton . . . even the baton didn't bother me -- I almost forgot that I was holding it.

It was a very fun run -- I just attacked and it was great.

Congrats to you, you might just inspire me to run another 'thon. Let's start looking for the next race and maybe we can all get together and run together.

VT Runner said...

Vermont City Marathon, Burlington VT. Memorial Day Weekend, '08.

Done.

PhatRunner said...

Great stuff. Congrats to both of you for reaching your goals this weekend. I am just glad to make it out of there walking. Felt much better than last year, but I just ned to put in more miles to feel the way Agricola did. The day was gorgeous and running on the course was fantastic. I was in a decent groove until the disaster with just over a mile to go hit. As the team waited and waited for me, i simply hobbled up the hill to the transition area. Can't wait for next year.

Agreed with VT Runner, A. you don't give yourself enough credit. Keep hitting the road the way you have been and setting the goals. Next year a competition between a couple of teams - should be fun.

Agricola said...

Vermont City Marathon . . . OK. That will be a good spring goal and something keep me training through the winter. I'm going to research some training books and find something that makes sense to me.

As far as self-credit goes . . . I'm my own toughest critic. I can always be better, always work harder and I never try to believe my own press. thanks guys.

Memorial Day '08 in Burlington . . . it should be fun.