Monday, October 22, 2007

The Fairest Borough

Mrs. Agricola and I were in The Fairest Borough over the weekend for a friend's wedding. We stayed in our old hood -- Brooklyn Heights -- and it was a lot of fun. We slept until nearly 9 AM and then went out for a together-run. We ran together for about 30 minutes. We headed from the Brooklyn Marriott, up some street I can't recall, crossed Atlantic to Court, down Court to Carroll -- we rented there -- to Clinton to Remsen to the Promenade where we parted ways and I headed down Cranberry -- we owned there -- across Cadman Plaza to the pedestrian stairs of the Brooklyn Bridge, across the bridge, into Manhattan, back across the bridge, down to the Promenade, back down Remsen, across the Brooklyn City Hall Plaza and back to the Marriott.

It took me 61 minutes total, I burned 1089 calories and enjoyed every minute of it. Brooklyn is really where I started running in earnest and it really felt like being home. My back, which had been aching since my Wednesday run loosened up within a few minutes of starting. I was hurting at the outset but the activity loosened it all up. It was great to run with Mrs. A and talk about old times, current times and future times and I got a nice two part workout. If you've never run a bridge like the Brooklyn Bridge I highly recommend it. The experience gives you a terrific sense of how they are built and you get to do two nice hill climbs. The Manhattan approach is steeper than the Brooklyn. I love running that bridge -- it was like hanging with an old, challenging friend.

1 comment:

VT Runner said...

I can hear the nostalgia in your voice. Nice post.