Friday, June 11, 2010

Week 2 training complete!

I didn't feel like running today at all but since I'll be in Montreal for the Grand Prix this weekend, I had to do my long run today. If I want to break 3:30 for the Maine Marathon I better get out and do it. So I did.

I ran 8.66 on Wed in 1;12:15, 8:15 min mile, and the Higdon plan had me at 10 for my week 2 long but I felt like taking on the 12.99, and I am glad I did. My first loop was 35:25, second was around 1:14 something but the last loop I turned it on and finished in 1:49:43, my fastest recorded time for that run. Broke past my 1:54 plateau by 5 min which I am happy about.

Now I can enjoy some St. Pauli's trackside, albeit most likely in the rain. Forza Ferrari!

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

Hey Torn,

Nice job getting right into the plan. I'm still on hiatus after the VCM. So, how did you chose the Maine Marathon. I've checked out the site, but I'm wondering if you have insider info about what makes it a good one. How are the hills?

Thanks.

Torn Ligaments said...

VTR,

I was looking for a late Sept/early Oct race and it came down to either Hartford or Maine - Maine won based upon easier logistics for me. Someone at Sugarloaf does it every year and recommended it as a good second marathon so I checked it out. My understanding is that it has modest hills but nothing too tough, a flat, fast finish, and it has a nice post-race party vibe.

BTW, we made a last minute decision to stop in Burlington Fri night instead of barreling straight up to MTL and after numerous Alien pilsners at VT Pub & Brewery on College St. shut down Ri Ra - what a great town!

VT Runner said...

Yeah, BTV is a great town. Fun college feel and nice view of the lake and Adirondacks.

Thanks for the info on the race. I'm considering it.

Torn Ligaments said...

By all means run, that would be terrific and we'd certainly be happy to roll out the hospitality carpet. I've pasted the comments link from marathonguide.com re: Maine Marathon and feedback has been mostly positive - some say it is hilly and others do not. I used this site to evaluate Sugarloaf and found it to be helpful and generally accurate:
http://www.marathonguide.com/races/racedetails.cfm?MIDD=1173101003