Thursday, June 3, 2010

Food? I don't need your stinking food!

I think running kills brain cells. At least that's what I think after my run in the Vermont City Marathon last weekend. Somehow, I completely, 100% spaced on a critical element of race strategy this year -- food. I simply didn't have enough to get me through.

The story of this race really starts at last year's Vermont City. I forget what I titled my post for that race, but it had to be along the lines of the Pot-o-Potty Express. I had major GI issues that year, and hit 4 Pot-o-lets and one gas station bathroom along the 26.2 mile course. I remember the dilemma of having to continue drinking Gatorade and eating shot blocks, even though they were upsetting my stomach. It was a nasty cycle.

Unfortunately, the memory of that race doomed me for this one. Because I didn't want to repeat my issues from last year, I chose not to drink Gatorade at the rest stops (mistake #1), and was stingy with the shot blocks (mistake #2). The net result was that I completely ran out of juice at mile 17. I rallied a bit here and there before hitting a big-time low around mile 23, and although I managed to run the last 1.2 miles to the finish, the fact is that I was barely able to finish at all. Between miles 20 and 24 I stopped a bunch, walked a bunch, knelt down, and even sat on my butt on the side of the bike path. My calves were cramping so bad at one stretch that when I lifted my leg, my toe pointed down as the calf contracted. My body felt weird, which is to say it was beyond a normal "bonk" pain and into a definite nutrition depletion mode.

The shame of it is that AG and I followed a great plan, pace-wise. As he mentioned, we diligently stuck with the 9:00 minute mile pace guy for the first half of the race, even when we felt we could've gone faster. I managed to stick with him through probably 16.5 miles before the wheels quickly and completely fell off. The weather was also good for running -- overcast to start, not too hot, and no rain. In terms of conditioning, you can always do more, but I felt good about adding to a solid base by getting in two 20's and an 18 in the six weeks leading up to race day.

In the end, counting on water, 5 shot blocks and one Gatorade at mile 23 (which immediately relieved my calf cramp) just wasn't enough to get me through. It's easy to write that now, but in reality, I only realized it after the race was over. I was lying down (it felt so good to lie down!), when a guy I know came over to see how I was doing. He is an accomplished distance guy who had just run a 2:52. Not that I could've gotten anywhere near his pace if I had eaten right, but it's worth noting that he drank Gatorade at every aid station and ate 14 shot blocks during the race. My intake miscalculation was a big miss.

So here's the kicker. Now I think I have to run another one of these suckers. Not sure when, but I'm pretty positive I'll be back out there again. And you'll read about it here.

1 comment:

Torn Ligaments said...

VT, man that sounds like one hell of an experience. Glad you were able to cross the finish line and that you have another 26.2 in you.

It's funny, several times when I have felt depleted of energy recently (either in Taekwondo or running) I think back to Mile 25 of Sugarloaf - how much pain I was in, the sickening feeling that after all of my hard work that things were starting to unravel - but then I somehow pulled it together and finished with a full-throttle sprint across the finish line. Euphoric. Sort of like that scene in The Hurt Locker where he's cleaning the leaves out of his gutter and suddenly he's back in Iraq for another tour. That feeling of pushing yourself to the absolute brink when you don't think there's anything left to push but you do it anyway - that is a remarkable sensation, to be on the edge, and one I cannot wait to experience again.