Monday, June 21, 2010

Father's Day 5k

Yesterday was the 2nd annual Portland Sea Dogs Father's Day 5k and the whole family got involved. We drove up to Kennebunk, the inlaws followed us, and we drove to Hadlock Field where the AA affiliate for the Red Sox play. Very nice minor league park complete with a replica Green Monster. Registered on the spot, $18 each and the kids were free. Pleased that the entry fee went to Prostate Cancer awareness.

The kids were excited to break in their new Sauconys (with laces no less!). They raced around a 400 yd track and then through a fence and through center field gate, and onto the warning track to finish beside the 3rd base dugout. They loved it. Then they settled into some box seats with their grandparents to wait for mom and dad to cross the finish line.

It was humid and warm at the start, 1600 registrants they announced, triple the runners than last year. They do a Mother's Day 5k that is pretty big and it benefits Breast Cancer awareness and I got the course layout from someeone at the start who has run in all of them. Mostly flat except for two modest hills.

I got as close to the start while Mrs. TL began farther down in the pack. The gun went off and I instantly felt like I didn't bring it. Felt lethargic, tired, and already thirsty. 22:00 was immediately in doubt.

At the Mile 1 mark I was shocked - shocked! - to see that I was 6:51, the exact split time as the Kittery 5k from a few weeks back. That was what I needed - and 22:00 was still in reach. The h20 stop helped, 5k's normally don't have them but it was hot enough to set one up and I'm glad they did. I need to hydrate more before my runs. It's not February anymore.

2 mi I was 14:17 so knew I had to turn it on but finally felt comfortable. I need a few miles to get loose and do prefer longer distances than 5k's. I ran the remainder with gusto and when we turned into the track next to the stadium I pushed hard as I could. We went underneath the bleachers and into the ballpark, and once on the warning track tore along the dirt and passed maybe 10 runners to finish 22:23, 7:13 min mile. :16 faster than the Kittery 5k.

39 148/647 M 19/101 M3539 KITTERY 22:23 7:13

So slightly disappointed but it was a fun race. A positive takeaway was that in the 35-39 age group I finished 19 out of 101. And I'm 39.

42:00 for the Beach to Beacon 10k still seems a bit unrealistic at the moment so I might shoot for breaking 44:00 as a goal.

We will do the Mother's and Father's Day races every year moving forward, a neat little family tradition we are starting.

No comments: