Sunday, June 27, 2010

Lug nut run

Today was a lug nut run.

I didn't feel like going, we are headed to Kennebunk for a cookout with the inlaws so already looking forward to a nice steak and some cold ones. I told myself that today's run was what will separate me from the runner I am right now - a glorified ham-and-egger who still dreams of cracking 3:30 - from someone who can accomplish that goal and then some.

So out I went. I call it a lug nut run because I can use this during my next marathon when I feel the wheels starting to fall off, to tighten them back up again. I can recall that moment I went from blowing my long run off to doing it, and sometimes harkening back to a moment of strength overcame weakness can be a huge difference maker.

I did the 12.99 again and finished in 1:53:13. Not great, but not terrible either. It is actually nearly the exact 13.1 split time at Sugarloaf. Higdon says to run your long run 30-45 seconds slower than marathon pace, but I have to chuckle - my marathon pace is called run your a$$ off like you're being chased by a pride of hungry lions. I have a hard time gauging my pace and think it's high time I get a Garmin or Suunto to accurately track my splits and distance covered.

No comments: