Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Vermont City Marathon Race Report

Sunday, 30 May 2010 was race day. I came in feeling moderately optimistic, but there was an undercurrent of dread in this one -- I suppose there always is, are you ever really ready, have you done all that you can...

I'd had a dream earlier in the week of running a 3:52. It didn't pan out that way.

Overall Finish: 1585
Age Grp Finish: 170/244
Age Grp: M3539
10: 1:29:43
13.1: 1:57:46
20: 3:06:25
Net: 4:23:57
Avg/Mi: 10:05
Gun: 4:25:37

If I'm honest, I'd say I wasn't ready, I missed a few too many runs of both the long and the short variety, but I was determined to come in and gut this out. The time is my best marathon yet (a whopping 13 seconds faster than 2008). I ran it slightly smarter -- I walked part of the long hill and a shorter hill around 17 -- I was really trying to save my legs. and it did work, somewhat.

I've been hitting trouble on long runs around 15-18, I hit it earlier Sunday -- around 12 I felt something not right and that's when I determined to not run the whole Battery Hill at 15. VTR and I ran with the 4 hour pace guy, and chatted with him and had a fine time -- I even got to be the pace setter for a bit while the official guy stopped to urinate.

A couple of forgotten ups and downs in 10-12 caught me off guard and sapped me a bit, and I really dropped off the pace on Battery Hill. The long boring stretch out to the neighborhoods of North Burlington did their damage too. Through 16-17 I was telling myself that I'd weathered the storm earlier, but I was feeling average at best. I lost it soon thereafter and went into survival mode. I bumped back into VTR who as he said, was in his own personal hell (but I'll let him report it). We slogged on together for the next 5 miles or so. I had a couple of crazy incidents at 21-22.

The first came down when we were finally coming off the surface streets and heading to the bike path that would take us back to the finish line. At that turn there is a waste water treatment plant. I'm not really one to gag etc, but something about that plant at that point in the race made my eyes water and made me retch and gag -- If I'd had stomach contents I'd have hurled. After recovering, I trudged on. About 5 minutes later a woman in front of me crashed when the woman in front of her stopped short to pick up a dropped-GU. I somehow managed to leap over both of them and not fall and not step on them. I got this weird muscle pull in my arm and my right calf balled up under my knee. I carried on.

I think I got an adrenaline burst from that and felt really good from 22-24 saying this will be my best marathon yet, then I crashed again at 24. Walked to 25 (walked the full mile), started to run at 25, my legs nearly gave way, I resumed walking, almost started crying (??) but powered on. About 25.25 I started running again and finished on a run with a great kick. I cursed out the apathethic finish line crowds asking them if they were at a "f*&%ing wake" and passed a couple of folks at the end (though the folks at the top of the chute ROCKED!).

VTR was inspiring and gritty. This was one tough race. It got progressively more humid and warmer as the day went one and it really knocked me around. I could have used one more GU near the end (and about an additional 100 training miles). I hydrated well, I think, though some guy asked if I wanted salt tab... I think this is my last marathon for a while -- my life is not set up for marathoning these days. My kids want me to keep going, and that might be what brings me back, even more than the fact than the fact that I think I know more about the distance than I did before and feel the need to tackle it again... but I need some time to recover and parse my lessons from this one. More miles, more calories on runs, smarter pacing.

Speaking of my kids, they and Mrs. A were out cheering the whole way, and it was great to see VTR's kids (& father-in-law) way out where we needed help most. All of our kids ran races the day before and we had a blast. C2 held my hand for the last half of his 1/2 mile race and that was an awesome moment. C1 smoked it and did really well and I'm psyched for her, the girl who told me "I run, you jog..." So awesome, and as VTR said to me at mile 9 when Mrs. A told us that C2 said "finish strong, dad" -- something I'd been telling him the day before when he did kick at the finish and pass some kids -- "that's what it's all about."

3 comments:

Torn Ligaments said...

Agricola-

That is how you get it done! Very nice work indeed. When we ran the Eastern States 20 and you threw it in a higher gear those last few miles into that spiteful headwind - I knew right then and there that the Vermont City finish line was as good as crossed.

What was the air quality like on raceday? Down here for most of Sunday we couldn't even be outside as the winds brought down the smoke and haze from the burning forests of Quebec.

I know you mentioned that you are taking a marathon hiatus - whenever you are ready for another one, please do let me know because I'd love to run one together. I just registered for the Maine Marathon in Portland Oct 3rd, and once again following Hal Higdon 18 week regimen. I plan on training for it, taking a week off, and then doing Weeks 14-18 again leading up to the New York Marathon Nov. 7th.

Also, I have always wanted to ask - is your 'nom de guerre' Agricola for the Roman General who conquered Britannia? I am a Roman history fanatic (would have named my first born Marcus Aurelius if Mrs. Torn Ligaments would have allowed it. Seriously.)

Agricola said...

My handle up here is in honor of my suburban life and the fact that I've always fancied a bit of a "farmer."

Yeah, I'm considering a hiatus... as I said my kids want me to keep running them, and part of me still wants to unlock the code, but I really don't have the time or the emotional bandwidth to commit to it fully. I certainly found my limits sunday, transcended my comfortable existence and got in touch with something primal, and painful and uncomfortable. It's something I'd like to do well, but I'm ambivalent about the distance right now.

What I love is the social side of the running -- running with friends and being in the scene. Love it, but I don't need to run 26.2 to do that. Tens, halves etc. are perfect for my life right now, we'll see b/c there's a little voice in the back of my head saying "listen to your kids, try it again..." Maybe the bug is still in me...

VT Runner said...

Congratulations! I'm glad we battled through this one together.