Monday, June 16, 2008

Yoga! Yoga! (To Belushi's chant)

Yoga is by far one of the greatest low impact exercise routines I have done. How is it possible to raise your heart rate to 140 simply through breathing and some poses? My HR stayed in that range for close to 45 minutes by posing this way and that. When I first began, I could hardly hold any of the poses, let alone get into any of them. Now I am actually able to hold my balance for close to 30 seconds and not fall over. Focusing on your breathing and trying to clear your head for an hour and a half is completely worth it and has increased my concentration immensely. At points, I am actually moving and stretching my body in ways I did not think were conceivable. If you have the opportunity, I would highly recommend yoga. Be prepared to sweat!

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

I haven't done much yoga, but I'm starting to think it's the key to staying "young" and fit, not to mention injury-free. Mrs. VTR were talking about it this weekend, and I'm going to start looking for a local joint to take a class or two. I'll keep you posted. Your enthusiastic post will push me on this. Thanks!

Agricola said...

As I've said, yoga is great for fitness. Mrs. A wants to do some pre-natal yoga, and I'd consider some Yoga as well -- it's great for increasing lung capacity and keeping limber. A video may be the way to go for me since I don't have time to get to a studio.

Way to go, glad to see you posting and exercising with more regularity.

PhatRunner said...

There are huge number of yoga videos out there. Don't get discouraged when you first start. Just keep on building from the first day and you will become more comfortabel with the poses.

PhatRunner said...
This comment has been removed by the author.