Thursday, June 5, 2008

Syked!

Gents, I am getting completely revved up, thinking about the CCM relay. As I told Agricola, son of the mountain, beast on the hills, I've never run anything before, so I'll consider this an accomplishment! Will look to the blog for guidance on spooling up for this. Knowing me, momentum is important, so I am thinking I'll start after I'm back from scout camp, the week of Jun 23. I then have two months of fairly steady routine before a week away in Aug, and then two more months of routine before the event. I am not overly concerned about work travel, which is murder on a steady cycling regimen, running being considerably easier to maintain on the road than biking, but I'll stop being obvious boy, 'til later. Peace.

3 comments:

VT Runner said...

Awesome.

It will be a great day. Glad to have a newbe runner on board. It's a great event for first timers. It might be fun for you to find a 5k race sometime this summer. It will get you jones'd up for CCM, keep training interesting, and give you a taste of racing.

Steve DiMattia said...

I was thinking that myself, just today.

Agricola said...

It's going to be a ton of fun.

You can just head on over to the park and get in on the NYRR weekend races.
As far as training goes, let's touch base this weekend. If I were you, I'd start walking, now. by walking I mean a brisk clip along some sort of predetermined route. Never having been a runner before you'll be surprised at how shocking running is to the system. Walking briskly is a good ramp-up, and then you can start, after several weeks of walking, to run say a city block, and then walk, and then run.

The biggest mistake anybody starting a new regimen makes is that they start too fast. You're hopefully in this for the long haul (literally and figuratively) so you want to enjoy it and bring your body up to speed gradually. Ask PhatRunner about his exercise regimen that had him essentially immobilized at reunion . . .

Again, I'll call you this weekend.

Embrace the process.
Have fun. I'm looking forward to experiencing this with you!