Thursday, June 5, 2008

Paranoid

I did a 30 minute run on Friday morning and a 2 hour hike with LittleVTR on my back later that day. Rested on Saturday, played some tennis on Sunday and did another 30 minutes on Monday. Tuesday I woke up with general tightness in the calf, so I've shut things down for a couple of days.

I am completely paranoid about the calf. Running is the priority, so I'm thinking about shutting out other activities until I'm confident with it. There's a hockey group on Tuesdays that I'm passing on, hikes will be very minimal and short, and I'm not sure about more tennis. It's a strange thing to force myself to rest when all I want to do is be active.

Not much else to say. I guess the lesson is this: when you can, run.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Strains, sprains, pulls etc. are weird things. They take time to heal and work themselves out. Anytime you damage muscles, tendons etc. (non-bone stuff) the best thing that you can do for it is give it time. The hard thing with muscles/tendon injuries, at least to my way of thinking is that short of an out-and-out tear, you never fully rest the damaged area. Even sprained ankles are mildly immobilized in air casts but there is still pressure on them and they are still forced to work even though damaged.

You put a lot of stress on that muscle -- uphill carrying a load, lateral starts and stops in tennis . . . patience.