Monday, June 23, 2008

Houston, TX Run

We headed down to Houston this past weekend to visit my brother and his family. They have a new baby and a new house, and given that we're entering the final trimester of #3, the time was right. We arrived late Thursday, and just hung out Friday. I got out for a jaunt on Saturday (but not Sunday).

I was prepared to be the only runner on the road and was going to call this post "Not a Local." I met a runner from Houston when I was in Atlanta and he had told me that nobody goes out in the summer to run. Well, there were a bunch of us on Saturday, running. I ran from my brother's place, through a neighborhood over to the campus of Rice University. I did a complete circuit of the campus on a nice, gravel path, in the shade of some really nice trees. It was an approximately 4.5 mile loop and a nice run. I did it pretty quickly, 37 minutes, and enjoyed the spectacle. It was hot and humid however, and by the end, I have to admit I was a bit sapped. I can now add Houston to the list of cities in which I've run, and I got the best sweat I've gotten in a while.

I had a bad running week last week -- traveling, really busy, Celtics -- and a bad diet weekend -- travelling, family gathering. I'll get back on both tracks this week. I'm doing the Chase Corporate Challenge this Thursday, so that will be fun.

No comments: