Monday, May 12, 2008

Saturday, 2.66

I did get out this weekend, I just haven't taken the time to post it up. I went for a whopping 2.66 hours. I covered about 16.5 miles and was painfully picking my away along when the family truckster appeared to pick me up and take my tired, sore, chaffed, cold body home. I was doing pretty well for the first two hours but it all fell apart in the third and I was VERY happy to be rescued. My quads were fairly shot (and they were really painful on stair descents yesterday), my nipples were scorched and bleeding and I was wiped. It was good that I got out, and I feel some sense of accomplishment but I'm nervous about this marathon. I might get out for another couple hours this coming weekend just to harden things up a bit more. I know that this is totally not how you train for a marathon but I figure if I situate the race in a continuum of long runs then maybe I'll be stronger. We'll see, what do I know.

As far as experiential running goes I was thinking about some runs along the Charles River; between App Gap and Lincoln Gap and trying to do a run where we could just run for like 5 hours, in one direction at a leisurely pace and just see how far we get . . . could be interesting.

5 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

I've heard that some distance trainers put vaseline on the nips before a long run. I like to do it while watching TV.

Agricola said...

Indeed . . . .

Vaseline comes off to fast. The best thing is body glide, but of course I don't have any . . . I used to have a bit but it went through the wash and that was that.

VT Runner said...

Laughed out loud at the vaseline and TV comment.

Agricola, how about some pasties or even better, tassles on the old nips?

I'm thinking about posting up around mile 17-18 or so for cheering and then trying to bring you in for the last 5 miles. I remember needing help at those points in the race.

I like your idea of putting the marathon in the context of a few other long runs. Whatever it takes to get you there mentally because you've done the work physically. You'll be stronger than you think. The key will be reigning in your pace early on. Slow and steady, and you'll come out on top.

Agricola said...

Pasties would have bled off . . . it was messy. Though, to be honest, i wasn't even aware of the chaffing on the run -- Saturday night and Sunday were sort of painful though -- I've got two little calluses left on my chest . . . ewww.

Anyway, it would be awesome to cover the last 5 with you and yes, 17-18 is where I definitely get in trouble, and early pace is key. I know I'll actually be amped on adrenaline and that I need to control that. On my run sunday I did the first 5 in 42 minutes which was faster than I wanted. I'm really looking to lock into 9 -9:15/mile and just lope along.

I also forgot to mention in my post that I jumped into some wetland/woods to answer nature's call -- I'd planned ahead though and brought napkins. We have like 1250 of them from Costco, so I figured I'd sacrifice a few -- that was a good thing to have. Ahh, running . . .

VT Runner said...

So I guess bears do sh*t in the woods.