Thursday, May 8, 2008

Maybe Caught a Draft

I fell in behind a team ride last night, about 6 guys and a girl. (There are generally fewer girls on bikes, I've observed.) I wasn't close enough to catch a draft, and I don't know how to do that, anyway, but I definately had the feeling of being pulled along. While I didn't talk with anyone in the group, I think it was mainly due to the social nature of the encounter. I've thought several times about joining a cycling club but always concluded that my life schedule wasn't consistent with anything regular, esp. as most clubs ride on Saturday mornings. Rethinking that. Anyway, the group kept a comfortable 17 mph pace for a quarter turn around the Park. At the Carousel it decided to step on the gas, and promptly dropped me. So much for being pulled along.

I'm pleased that I got out four of the last five nights, but I am feeling fatigued. The FreeArtists head upstate tonight for the weekend and for unrelated resons I'll leave the bike in the city, though I am feeling like I could use the recovery time.

The numbers:

Distance: 12.3 miles
Time: 00.48.32 hours
Av Speed: 15.2 mph (I stopped to take a cell phone call; not sure how stopping affects this metric. I know, excuses, excuses.)

No HR info today.

6 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

Agricola, I've noted that you usually post/comment mid-morning. Now that I'm back on the LDT I find that I return to this window throughout the morning to check for your input and for VTR's. The blog pulls me along, too.

Agricola said...

Yes, I tend to check mid-morning and then come back throughout the day. I had a comment for this post but actual work precluded me from commenting.

Good for you for getting out 4 days in a row. Totally listen to your body and build up toe 5-6 days/wk.
I took this AM off because I was tired from work and pushing C2 around town.

I've also noticed that not many women bike -- but given the stratospheric testosterone levels of your average male biker, it's not all that unusual.

Steve DiMattia said...

No question about the average male cyclist. I've also observed that there is a distinctive body type among serious women cyclists, and it's impressive.

VT Runner said...

Freeartist -- great seeing you and the family over the weekend. Thanks for the hospitality.

We actually saw about 5 - 6 women cyclists crossing the App Gap on our way to your spot. It was surprising, but cool to see.

No exercise update for me this week. I went a little heavy with the weights on the calf and it tightened up a bit mid-week. I'm now on to the less is best method of recovery until June 1.

Agricola said...

You need to slow down there, VTR . . .

Speaking of App Gap, I was thinking about that this weekend. since I'm on my kick of experiential running I was thinking about running between App Gap and Lincoln Gap. I think it's an 11 mile stretch -- how fun would it be to load up some power bars, gatorade and a rain coat if necessary and run between them. I'll post on the main page about that one of these days. I've got a bunch of runs like that that I've thought about.

Steve DiMattia said...

I have a client who cycles with some of the elite, Lance Armstrong's trainer-level guys. He keeps a list in his blackberry's memo function of rides he hears about, or stumbles upon. I use the same function to keep a list of restaurants I want to try. But then there are cyclists, and there are cyclists.

Congratulations on your long haul, as painful as it was. It looks like we may be cheering from the early sidelines of the marathon up in BTV. More on that later.