Monday, May 19, 2008

Biking and such

My folks were up for the weekend, which gave Mrs. VTR and I an opportunity to do something we haven't done in a long time -- hit the road on our bikes. We rode from just south of Waterbury to Montpelier and back. We actually split up before Montpelier because Mrs. VTR had another commitment, so I was on my own heading back.

The plan was to meet back at our starting point, where I would hitch a ride back home. The thing is, I didn't want to stop. I ended up biking all the way back through Waterbury and home. The return trip included a number of nasty hills, including the mile or so up to my house. It was challenging, but really good.

I found myself super aware of my calf throughout the ride. The first part of the trip was a breeze, but I was still a bit tentative. On the way home, I started to really grind and felt it a bit in the calf. I'm not sure if the tightness was from being away from biking for so long or from my injury. Either way, I kept on pedalling and the pain went away, moved over to my other calf, jumped behind the knee, etc. Really, I was just too aware of my body because I ended up fine and felt no pain today.

I have to say it felt great to be out on the bike. Grinding away made me feel powerful in a way that is very different than running. It's something about the feeling of the muscles pushing against the pedals -- very isolated focus versus the overall body/experience awareness I have running. Anyway, it felt good. FreeArtist, we have to get out soon.

See you over the weekend.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Nice job. Way to get out and do some mileage. Glad that everything went well and that all is good today.

See you in a few days.

Steve DiMattia said...

I'd love to get out on bikes in VT. It's just unbelievable to me how quickly the summer weekends are filling up, when all I want to do is sit on my porch with a cocktail. Let's discuss this weekend.