Tuesday, May 27, 2008

Resolution Kept

There were periods late this winter, through the spring, even up until the week of the race that I rued making the New Year's Resolution to run the Vermont City Marathon because I (like 99.9% of New Year's Resolvers) never keep my resolutions. Well, this year, I've kept at least one of them: I finished the VCM and while I can't say it was always fun, it was a great experience.

Formalities
The course was tough and challenging; the race was well organized; the atmosphere was amped up and intimate. I ran a 4:27:10 (gun) 4:24:10 (net). I was happy with my results though I finished in the bottom third of the field, overall, and I screwed up my time measurement so I don't really have a mile-by-mile breakdown -- but I ran this race faster than I ran NYC in '04. I covered the first half in 2 hours; crossed 20 miles at 3 hours and bonked hard between 21 and 25, and rallied to finish strong. I feel pretty good today, and the more I move around the less sore I am. I think I might go out for a little run tomorrow. Scrambling on boulders at Smuggler's Notch on Monday was actually good for me. My ankles and knees feel fine and I'm ready to keep going.

Friends
The best part of this experience, without a doubt, was that I saw my friends and family all around the course and it was an awesome experience. VTR and Mrs. VTR put us up and fed us and were just rocking hosts, and, as always, great friends. The Free Artists were on-hand as well and it was special to share this with them -- again, rocking friends. I've run a bunch of races, and high-fived little kids all along the courses. It was so amazing to high five Child One, and FA's oldest (my God-Daughter). It was just incredibly special. VTR yelled and cheered for me, from his bike, along a rather brutal part of the course, and that helped tremendously.

Impressions
The first 10 miles of the course went really smoothly. Running through town at the start was great, and the fans were amped. I worked really hard to limit my pace. Seeing my cheering section within mile one was awesome! I was reminded of my theory about the dearth of Indian distance runners. There was an Indian guy and his wife, at the start. They were all lovey and smiley. He had on red and yellow-striped (at the top) cotton socks that were taller than crews but shorter than knee socks. I passed him around mile two while he was walking . . . that's a long day. If he hadn't eaten Naan, Dal and curry the night before I think he would have been better-off -- I know from personal experience. It was fun to run along Rt. 127 -- a closed down (for the day) highway. Despite lack of fan support out there it was early enough in the race that it didn't really matter. They had some Brazilian drum troupe out there and that was really cool.

Miles 10-14 are sort of a blur. I messed up my laps and didn't realize it until the halfway mark. I really have very little memory of this part of the race except for crossing the halfway mark and then running along a very narrow portion of bike path, over some small bridges and near some RR tracks, with Champlain to the left. Mile 13-14 was run in a too quick 8:05. I recall coming off the bike path with this guy in an orange tank and big long braid and then starting the climb of Battery Hill. The Japanese drummers were awesome and my cheering section was even louder. I committed to crushing that hill and I think I did. I was pumped up for it and it was fun, fun, fun!

I paid for Battery Hill later -- around mile 16! My legs felt like they were totally filled with blood, trying to stave off injury and the going got tough. VTR was awesome helping me through that section talking it up and keeping me going. It was really sunny out there, and sort of fan-less and this is where lack of fans starts to hurt. I slogged on through 16, 17, 18 and the course dove into a residential neighborhood which was no fun to run in. Some people were into it, most were totally desultory spectators, just watching us slog on. At 19 I was racked, and walking quite a bit. I ran through 20 and fell into pace with a young woman named Laura and we slogged on for about 2 miles together both wondering when it got fun.

At 21 a short, sharp downhill hammered me, Laura continued on and I kept shuffling. I walked half miles and ran half miles of each of the remaining miles up to 25. My pace was down around 14 mins/mile, but I at least ran through each mile marker. Another funny set of interactions out in the last chunk was with a woman with a pink running skirt and a long red braid. We kept passing one another and wise cracking about the last few miles. It was all minor stuff, but it was funny. She kept calling me Orange Guy. I geared up to finish it strong with a guy that I'd been passing and then he'd pass me. We came into the chutes just after 25 and I saw my cheering section again and got a huge adrenaline jolt from everybody as well as the general crowd. I finished with a nice kick (I love adrenaline!). I don't know, unfortunately, what happened to my final mile partner, I out-kicked him and not on purpose. Through the last half to quarter mile my calf was really starting to ball up and I willed it not to cramp and stop me.

After the finish I headed into the runners' food tent and was getting some grub when I saw this young kid sitting in a wheel chair. I lost it and started crying. I felt so blessed to have done what I did, to have had the experience and seeing that kid just brought it all home to me. It was very emotional and very cool, and it was a great experience surrounded by family and friends on a beautiful, if hot, day. Overall, I was happy with my time -- I improved from NY '04 -- and though I didn't meet either of my reach goals it was a positive experience. I learned much about training, and pacing and even though I said this is my last marathon, there might be another in me. My kids totally got it -- a couple of weeks ago they were running around the house saying that they were running a marathon. I'd undertaken this partly to be a good example and to be an active father and show them commitment and dedication and I think that it worked. For that I'm truly grateful, and it was a great experience. Thanks the VTRs, FAs for being a part of it. Special thanks to Mrs. A for all her patience and support and also to C1 & C2. It was an awesome experience.

3 comments:

VT Runner said...

Great post. Even better run.

Steve DiMattia said...

It was beautiful. We're proud of you.

Agricola said...

Thanks FA. It meant a lot to share this experience with all of you.

In a funny aside, check out today's WSJ (print version). On one of the section front pages there is a picture of two brothers, big Indian businessmen, running the Mumbai Marathon. Perhaps there is a bigger Indian Running population than I realized. Also, the top Indian finishers ran a hell of a lot faster than I did:

http://scmm.indiatimes.com/images/results08.pdf

Could you even imagine running a marathon in Mumbai?