Thursday, April 24, 2008

Back On The Road

I got back on the road today -- the knee was feeling pretty good. I did a new route near home -- one that I've been thinking about for a while. I ran on some trails near a pond and the Charles. It was really lovely -- lots of Red Winged Blackbirds, some ducks and geese, the sun was still low in the sky. I enjoyed it very much. There was a good sized hill. The run was an out-and-back, 44 minutes).

My knee feels OK right now -- no pain, but I'm definitely aware of it, if that makes any sense. I've hit on some theories this marathon training:

Out and backs of an hour to ninety minutes round trip are pretty doable/tolerable. Anything more I'm looking to go out in one direction and get picked up. Also, on the longer runs I've started to think of them in 45 minute increments (~5 miles). It's not so bad to do three hours when I think of it as four 45 minute segments. Just something I'm thinking about as I practice running. Another thing is that my transition to home from business trip has somewhat wreaked havoc on my schedule -- sometimes it's hard, and I feel bad, extracting myself from the house to run. One more bit of food for thought.

No comments: