Tuesday, April 8, 2008

Atlanta Run

I'm at a training in Atlanta, as I think I mentioned in my Sunday 10 Post. I went out today and ran with a guy in the training who's a triathlete and ultramarathoner. It was a great 53 minute run along a main urban/suburban drag in extreme northern Atlanta, into Dekalb county. It wasn't particularly beautiful though we ran by some nice neighborhoods. It was a type of American sub/urban run that I think is probably pretty common in this country -- but not so common in the NE. Lots of stores and intersections, commuter traffic etc.. However, it was a nice rolling course, the weatherr was cool but nice -- total shorts and technical shirt, and there are some beautiful trees and flowers in bloom.

The guy I ran with is a really nice guy, a designer from SF and he was kind to me and ran with me for the first two thirds and then kicked it towards the end. I hung with him as long as I could and finished maybe 10 seconds after him. I really enjoyed running with somebody, it made the time slide by easily and it was fun to chew the fat. A good run, a nice confidence builder and I'm looking forward to going out tomorrow too. Given that I've done the 10 Sunday and this was probably 6+ I'm feeling better about this training.

I know that I've harped on how much of a routine person I am and if my routine gets messed up then I'm done but I want to amend that statement. Routine is important, but sometimes being out my comfort zone, and getting out of my routine -- like coming to Atlanta for five days this week and three next -- is great for my running. It's a way to take control of my surroundings, explore, and bring some routine to a very different experience.

1 comment:

VT Runner said...

It makes me think that being out of your routine in a place like Atlanta makes you realize how much of a routine your running has become. In unfamiliar places, we tend to gravitate towards the familiar, which in your case was running. See, you're way more into it than you thought.

Let yourself think about the full 26.2. You can do it.