Tuesday, February 5, 2008

Viral training

Nope, this isn't a post about picking up one of the many illnesses that run through pre-school on a weekly basis. You've been there, so there's no need to waste space on that here.

This post is about the way that enthusiasm for running (or any exercise) can spread virally once you take the leap and call yourself a runner. Just tonight, I was talking to a friend of Mrs. VTR who knows I'm running the Vermont City Marathon in May. She will also be running the race (her first marathon), so we tend to trade training stories whenever we cross paths. Tonight, she called because she just signed up for the Run Vermont 13.1 Half Marathon Unplugged race in April. The funny thing is that I saw this race last week, but totally whimped out and didn't sign up. I had forgotten about it until she called. I just got off the site, and I'm now in and officially registered. The race is on April 5. Here's the link if anyone's interested:
http://www.runvermont.org/events/halfmarathon.html

As much time as we spend alone on the roads, we are part of a community of runners. The more I run, the more I learn about running, the more apt I am to identify myself as part of the club and feel connected to it. So, keep on running LDT-ers. Join the club.

2 comments:

Agricola said...

Hey, I've been meaning to respond to this post, it's a good one. Let me think about that half -- we've got plans to see FA and his fam in NYC the weekend prior, so it may not make much sense for me to head back out the following weekend.

Anyway, yes running is a community act. I feel a bond with all of the other folks I see out there when I run. I know what it took to get up, get out, get away from the family to go out and grind out some miles. I know what it feels like to run, to work and we share that in common. We run the same roads and have that in common even if we don't know one another and only ever acknowledge one another via a nod, or a wave. I always wave to fellow runners because we're part of the same community. That's actually a reason I love to run races -- forever, I and 10K other people will have the experience of running, say, Falmouth -- we may not know one another, may never meet but we tackled the course together, got on the buses, stood in woods hole we know what it's all about and what it's like, and it's a bond over a shared experience. I'm with you.

One of the things that I remember most about NYC in '04 was that sense of community that I felt along the course -- 35K people all worked to get to that point and ran that course and I found the experience really emotionally intense because of the commonality of the experience. Nice post.

VT Runner said...

I think your comment is better than the post itself. Thanks.