Thursday, February 28, 2008

Rebound

I went out for a 42 minute run today. I'll call it 8 miles. We got about 8" of snow in Burlington, so the challenge was in finding clear terrain. I ended up doing loops of various little neighborhoods between work and Lake Champlain.

Usually I hate repetitive loops, twists and turns, but today was different because I felt great out there. The legs were good and rested, and my head was in the game. It helped that it was a clear, bluebird day, and the fresh layer of snow was still pristine, but I think the fact that I was three days removed from air travel helped me even more. I'm convinced that air travel shortens lifespans, but that's another story.

Anyway, I'm psyched with the run today. I have to get one longish run in this weekend, and then I'm off to China for 2 weeks. China means no real running, so I'm starting to get a little nervous about my marathon prep. Based on my schedule alone, I won't start training in earnest until mid-March. Who knows, maybe that will be a good thing.

4 comments:

Agricola said...

What're you, Kenyan?

You can call 42 minutes 8 miles, I'll call it 5, max . . .

I am unmotivated as get out right now. I'll go tomorrow and a couple of times this weekend . . . I've been very unmotivated this week.

VT Runner said...

Oh crap.

You know, I meant to say 5 miles, but I actually laughed to myself about getting the math wrong and accidentally putting in 8 miles. I guess that thought stuck.

Yeah, 8 miles in 40 minutes. I can't even say, "only in my dreams" because it would be an agonizing nightmare as my legs detatch from my body and sprint ahead while I lie helpless in a pool of blood.

Random comment. That's what I get for posting when I'm spent. I better log off of my work email and go to bed. Over and out.

VT Runner said...

Oh, and you've been unmotivated because you were sick. You mind is protecting your body. You have the right approach. Go with it, get out there a couple of times, and you'll run when you're ready.

Agricola said...

Hey, that's an interesting insight. there is definitely something to your premise about the mind protecting the body. My ankle was also killing me after my Seaside 11, so that might also be playing into it. finally, this winter is grinding me down this year, it's been brutal.