Thursday, February 7, 2008

Dreadmill

My lunchtime run plans were thwarted by the weather yesterday. We got about 12" of snow over the past 36 hours. I still wanted to do a couple of miles, so I hit the gym after work, and I can unequivically say that I hate the treadmill. My gym is kind of on the swanky side with solo TV's on every machine, top of the line equipment, heartrate monitors, the works. It didn't matter. Running and going nowhere is simply not my idea of fun.

I started with a plan to do 6 miles, but quickly realized I wouldn't make it that far and scaled back to a 5K. The only way I finished that distance was by turning off the tube, zoning out, and imagining past races. I put in an aggressive pace to get through the grind as quickly as possible, so I guess I'd chalk this up as a speed workout.

I definitely respect those who have to use the treadmill for training because it's not easy, but at the same time I think treadmillers are completely missing out on the best parts of the sport -- physically and mentally going somewhere. I'll take my snow and ice over climate control any day.

Later boys.

1 comment:

Agricola said...

Love the title. Haha!

Did you know that I've NEVER run on a treadmill in my entire life. It's always outside, in the elements.

Good for you for getting in the miles -- the wheels fell off my wagon this week, but I have a plan to get in 17 this week (3 tomorrow, 6 saturday 8 sunday). Child two is now napping and I need to get Child One at 2:45 -- maybe I'll take them both after that but I bet it will be a war, and I don't need a war, to get C1 in the jogger (she's typically cold to the idea of being so close to her bro!).

I was also thinking about the gym . . . we used to belong to the NYSC when we lived in the Village. We called it our local charity as we walked by several times/week but never went in and the $70/mo. kept coming out of our bank accts. I don't do gyms. Good for you for the mileage, though.