Monday, February 18, 2008

Seaside Eleven

Sunday, we visited PR and his family and I stepped out for a run of 11.25 miles. I covered the distance in 1:40. I stopped at the turn-around for about 5 minutes to stretch and eat a Cliff Bar. My legs were sore from the previous day's, hilly trek. Yesterday's run was fairly tame, mostly flat, but the scenery was beautiful -- through sea side woods with some spectacular views of the ocean as well as some amazing real estate. It was a new run for me in a new place

I'm approaching this training a little differently. My body and my mind are different than they were nearly four years ago when I last trained for a 'thon. I'll walk a bit if I feel like it -- though not much, 30-40 second intervals to swig some Gatorade -- I'll stop for a bit at the turn around to charge up, stretch, whatever. I'm eating more when I run too -- I went out light yesterday, but I carried a pair of Cliff's, 24 ozs of Gatorade, and my cell phone.

I read Ultra Marathon Man by Dean Karnazes last fall, and while he's running ultras, that book really hammered home that you need to put in calories as you take them out. My ankle was killing me afterwards, and I jammed it up a bit while stepping off the road to let a car pass -- it sank in some soft pine needles. The injury is another thing I'm watching, and something that makes this training different. My ankle hurts, and my calf above the ankle hurts -- almost like there's a compensation injury brewing . . . I really focus on my stride and try to keep it the same on both legs, but a bio-mechanics expert I'm not. I'm going to do some stretching today of my legs and my ankle and hope to work it out.

A thing that was hammered home on yesterday's run was how important the in-between runs are. I noticed that in previous weeks I'm not as sore post-long-run when I do the weekday runs as I am today having missed the two short ones this past week. I missed them largely because of weather, so it's not like I was lazing, but it's important to run them. It's all about the process, embrace the process.

Finally, towards that end, I'm also going to try and write more about the process, and the details. We get a lot of visitors to this site, not just us, and I think that it will be interesting to see if they stick longer and comment more if we include more nitty-gritty and info-share. It might be cool to see the conversation expanded in the comments and help to make this thing even more useful than just a motivator -- it is web 2.0 after all.

4 comments:

VT Runner said...

Congrat's on the long run. I'm with you about including your observations here. The longer and more you run, the more your mind wanders to interesting places.

Mine has been far from training these past few days, but I take solace in the fact that I'm hiking and/or skiing every day. I'm getting the work in but also starting to miss the road.

VT Runner said...

I just logged in from the floor of a trade show in Vegas, using one of their laptops. I forgot the address, so I just googled "long distance training blog" and our site came up #1. Very cool!

Agricola said...

That's cool, at least we're doing something right . . . maybe, or maybe we did well depsite ourselves!

How's vegas?

I'm sick as a dog today -- it settled on me yesterday . . . ugh. actually heading to bed soon.

VT Runner said...

Vegas is ok. I'm just doing a bunch of meetings and stuff. Nothing too interesting. Vegas is a strange place.

Sorry to hear you're feeling so crappy. Hopefully, it's a quick bout with whatever you have.