Tuesday, December 29, 2009

So much for X training

Holidays and weather (really more the lack of footing) have played havoc with my running schedule. Managed only one 2 mile run last week as it was too icy to run any longer. So on Xmas eve, I decided to jump in the pool for some cross training. I figure I need to work this into my regular routine if I hope to participate in any tri's this summer. Managed 10 laps of various strokes with a pause at the end of each length. Unfortunately, my left calf cramped badly on the 8th lap. Didn't see it coming as I've had no troubles with leg cramps while running and have never (ever!) done laps in a pool before (odd since I was a lifeguard for 5 years). The next few days I was very sore. Probably should have eased into it a bit more slowly. I finally made it out onto the road yesterday morning for a 10k run. The first two miles where great as I was fresh and it wasn't too cold. The last two miles where awful. Not only was I fighting the calf cramp returning, but my left quad felt like it was going to go any second. I also over dressed for the 38 degree temp. resulting in overheating for the second half of the run. The good news is that today, while a little sore, I feel like I could head out for another run. Plan to head out tomorrow and maybe Thursday. I'm very close to reaching both of my December goals (12 runs, 50 miles) despite the last week.

3 comments:

Agricola said...

holding your feet in a swim position can cause that -- I've had something similar, but not later on a run.

It might also be dehydration -- I actually cramp in my calves when I'm low on fluid intake.

keep rocking! I signed up for super sunday 10K, did you sign up for the 5K?

Bennu Runner said...

I did. Last 5K for me for now. On to 10Ks!

Agricola said...

Nah, you've got to keep doing 5Ks too -- they are fun and low stress. It'll be fun to get out there together.
good to see you yesterday.