Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Rarities

So this post contains a bevy of rarities.

I actually went out and ran two days after a prior run -- I went on Sunday as well.
I went running on my lunch break.
I went running in Newburyport, towards Plum Island -- I've never done that.
I saw huge hawk in a tree right near the Plum Island Airport.

I went out on Sunday for a 32 minute run. I told myself I'm not going to publish a post unless I go again on Tuesday -- the once/week running post is silly. I set my alarm for 6 AM and turned it off at 5:52 AM -- Child Two called out and woke me.
I tried to get up at 6:20 but it was dark . . . I wimped out. However, the weather is outrageously balmy today, pushing 60 F, so I threw my gear in my bag and went for it.

Sunday's run (3.7 in 32:16) was better than today's (3.5-4.0 in 30:25, I'm not sure where I turned around) which was hard. Maybe it was the warmth. Maybe I was bonking a bit because I was hungry. Maybe I'm just not in great shape right now. One thing running has taught me is humility -- there is no replacement for miles not run and you've got to work your way back. The ankle hurt pretty good at the beginning but feels OK right now. It's really something I need to monitor.

The view on this run was lovely -- I ran along the Joppa Flats at the mouth of the Merrimack River and the water was glass flat and a beautiful winter blue. The flats teemed with sea birds and geese and it was really great.

Newburyport, MA from space

2 comments:

VT Runner said...

Great post. I love the efficiency of the descriptions, of the prose. It's almost as if you're telling your story reluctantly. Maybe you don't feel like you're in enough of a training mode for an LDT post. That's what came through the text for me.

...Or maybe I'm the one who's not in training mode. Um, yeah, that would be it.

Agricola said...

Thanks VTR . . . I'm not only out of running shape, I'm out writing about running shape. I like my last paragraph on re-read, but I think my middle two paras are a bit rough . . . it's all about practice!

Mrs. Agricola said to me today that she was glad that I got out because she was worried about me and training for the VT marathon . . . so, it's high time to get on it.