Sunday, January 20, 2008

Long Road

I went out today. It was painful, not painful for the ankle per se, though there was some pain in the joint, but from a conditioning standpoint. I've lost a lot of fitness. I ran about 4.2 and did it in about 36 minutes. It was a pretty good pace but my CV isn't up to it right now. It seems to me that my legs remember how they want to run, but my heart and lungs don't. It's kind of disheartening, but I've just go to embrace the process -- seems like I've been saying that frequently since November . . . oh well. One thing that's helped my ankle has been some self-administered PT -- I'm flexing it and extending it, rotating it from left to right and right to left. This has resulted in more flexibility and less pain. Embrace the process. Embrace the process. Embrace the process. And the cold -- it was chilly today, but nice.

GO PATS!

5 comments:

Steve DiMattia said...

No cycling to report today but the FreeArtists skied on Saturday and Mrs. FA surprised me by arrangeing a private lesson to accelerate the small progress I made after last winter's first return to the slopes after 15 years. The lesson was outstanding, and altogether I got in 8 afternoon runs and if I can get on the trainer tonight to work out my sore thighs, better still.

Agricola said...

Nice. I'm moderatley ambivalent about skiing right now . . . it's something I know we should do but I'm a bit hung up on the irrationality of standing on a mountain in the cold . . .this is a new development for me . . . not totally rational, but not irrational either.

Ski on FA. Ski on.

Steve DiMattia said...

Sat. was my first experience with long lift lines. What a huge buzz kill that is.

Agricola said...

Lift lines. Bad.

Lift lines in the cold. Worse.

VT Runner said...

Blue skies must have made it a little more tolerable, though. The day to go was Friday -- it was a beaut. But good for you for getting out there. Putting a few turns together can be very rewarding. Nice.